Support Services & Guidance for Families With LGBTQ Children & Youth, Ages 2 and Up
Free of Charge – English, Spanish & Cantonese
The Family Acceptance Project™ – in collaboration with Child & Adolescent Services at SF General Hospital/ UCSF – is providing confidential family support services to help ethnically diverse families decrease rejection and increase support for their LGBT children, including those who are questioning their sexual orientation or gender identity. These services are provided free of charge and are available in English, Spanish and Cantonese.
Our family services are funded by a matching grant from the Robert Wood Johnson Foundation with other local funders. They are based on our research from the Family Acceptance Project™ that has linked health, mental health and well-being – including risk for suicide, substance abuse and HIV, and positive outcomes such as self-esteem – to behaviors that parents and caregivers use to express acceptance and rejection of their children’s LGBT identity.
These free, confidential services are available to families with LGBTQ and gender variant children in the Bay Area who:
- Want cutting edge information on how to reduce their LGBT child’s or adolescent’s risk for health and mental health problems and to promote their well-being.
- Need counseling and support to decrease family rejection and increase support for their LGBT child.
- Are already accepting and supportive but want research-based guidance on how to increase their LGBT child’s well-being.
- Need help to reduce family conflict or violence related to their LGBT child.
- Need immediate crisis support to help strengthen their family to maintain their LGBT child in the home and help keep them out of foster care or juvenile probation.
- Want to help increase family support for LGBT youth transitioning out of foster care.
- Want general guidance on how to help their LGBT child.
We also help LGBT youth come out to their family.
Referrals can be made by parents, youth, other family members or providers.
Contact us at: firstname.lastname@example.org or 415-522-5558 for additional information or to make a referral.